The Role of Community Colleges in Registered Apprenticeship
Community colleges often play a critical role in Registered Apprenticeship programs. They can develop the curriculum and provide the classroom instruction portion of an apprenticeship. They can provide college credits leading toward, or even completion of, an associate degree.
As Registered Apprenticeship as a workforce development tool continues to flourish across the country, the roles for many community colleges are also growing. It is not uncommon for community colleges to screen apprenticeship applicants, work with economic and workforce development, or even act as the program sponsor, handling the administration of the Registered Apprenticeship program.
Check out these resources for examples of the vital ways community colleges support Registered Apprenticeship.
Community Colleges as the Training Provider
Community College System as the State Apprenticeship Lead
Community College as the Registered Apprenticeship Sponsor
- Harper College (Chicago, Illinois) acts as both classroom training provider and Registered Apprenticeship sponsor, offering Business Insurance, CNC Precision Machining, Industrial Maintenance Mechanic, and Supply Chain apprenticeships
- For more information, you can check out this webinar, this PowerPoint presentation, and the program agreement between Employer and Apprentice
- Apprenticeship321 (Gaston College, North Carolina) works in partnership with advanced manufacturing firms in the area to train apprentices and expand the number of women in the industry
- Details on the rationale for and how-to details of Gaston College’s approach can be found in this Presentation
- This presentation by US DOL and college leaders provide a useful framework for reaching out to community colleges to explore deeper engagement in apprenticeship as program sponsors
- The Registered Apprenticeship-College Consortium
- Training Tomorrow's Workforce: Community College and Apprenticeship as Collaborative Routes to Rewarding Careers
- Supporting Community College Delivery of Apprenticeships (Jobs for the Future)