Pre-Apprenticeship programs not only build the basic literacy, math, and work-readiness skills today’s employers require, they also provide Registered Apprenticeship sponsors with pre-screened, qualified, and job-ready apprentice pools. Pre-apprenticeship programs also help workers, including youth and job seekers with low skill levels, begin a pathway to a career.
To learn more on the key elements of a quality pre-apprenticeship program:
- Read the U.S. Department of Labor’s Framework for a Quality Pre-Apprenticeship Program
- Getting Started with Pre-Apprenticeship Partnerships (Jobs for the Future)
To learn more on pre-apprenticeship strategies in 5 key areas – partnerships, recruitment, curriculum, retention, and sustainability:
- Read the Pre-Apprenticeship Guide: Pathways for Women Into High-Wage Careers
- Check out this Pre-Apprenticeship resource page with tools and examples from successful programs in these 5 key areas
Check out the resources below to learn more about the benefits and examples of successful pre-apprenticeship programs.
- Constructing Futures, Building Hope: Best Practices in Pre-Apprenticeship Training Models (Ohio Jobs and Family Services)
- Ohio State Apprenticeship Council Policy on Pre-apprenticeship
- Wisconsin Pre-Apprenticeship Readiness Program
- Construction Pre-Apprenticeship Training (Long Beach City College)
- Assembly Pre-Apprenticeship Program, Caterpillar (Clayton, NC)
- BuildingWorks (NYC Carpenters Training Center)
- Florida Training Services Inc.
- Cypress Mandela, Inc.
- Chicago Women in Trades (CWIT)
- Oregon Tradeswomen, Inc.
- We Build Pre-Apprentice Construction Program (Los Angeles Unified School District)
- Arizona Department of Transportation Construction Academy Pre-Apprenticeship Training Program
- Rhode Island Marine Trades Association (RIMTA)
- Building Industry Association of Hawaii
- The Edward J. Malloy Initiative for Construction Skills, Inc.
- Carpenters Training Committee for Northern California (CTCNC)
- Pre-Apprenticeship Partnerships at CVS Health (Jobs for the Future)
Studies and Reports